closed-source bounties (was Re: [Asterisk-Dev] US$200 bounty for * paging feature)

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Apr 19 18:20:01 MST 2005

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> Are you sure about that?  If I'm hired as a contract for Company Foo, I am
> certainly not distributing the code that I write for them to them; I am in
> their employ and as such I am pretty sure that this is allowed.

That is certainly correct. Any development work that you do as a work
"for hire" against a GPL source base is owned by the entity that paid
you for the work. It is their responsibility to live up to any GPL
requirements, not yours. Providing the code that you wrote to them under
contract does not qualify as "distributing" it, any more than it would
if you were directly in their employ and working in their facilities.

(Andrew, is there some reason why your messages are sent in ISO-8859-6?)