[Asterisk-Dev] simple cvs question

Andrew Thompson asteriskuser at aktzero.com
Mon Apr 18 13:06:10 MST 2005

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
>> It appears that .version is maintained by the Makefile. Is this fully
>> correct?
>
> Sort of... but the .version file is not dependent on all the source
> files, so if you update just a few files and reinstall, you'll have the
> same version tag. That's what 'make update' is for.

Today I create a new folder. I go into that folder, export cvsroot, cvs
login, and cvs checkout asterisk. I do nothing else. There is no
.version file.

Next week, I remember that folder is there, go into it, and 'cvs update
-Pd'. I do nothing else. There should still be no .version file, right?

As long as I don't ever run make from that folder, shouldn't I be able
to keep updating it periodically without fear of contamination/breakage?

If I 'tar cf - . |cd /buildfolder; tar xf -' (I think that's the command
I used to use to copy folders.) that folder, I should be able to then
run make and build a clean copy of asterisk.

Am I missing something?

(I want to take snapshots of asterisk and maybe automatically build them
on my box. I just don't want to write a script that inherently inserts
errors.)

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/