[Asterisk-Dev] Source Code Management

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Apr 13 13:43:12 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 14:46 -0500, Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
> I think that the key question that isn't on the wiki is: do we want a
> centralized or a distributed development model?  There are pros and cons
> to each, and I haven't really made up my mind as to which I would
> prefer.

The big pro for a distributed method is that we could possibly bring
some of the "splinters" back closer to the fold without forcing them to
do any real work.

Think of being able to make the asterisk add-ons section separated into
multiple projects with each one expanding upon the base. Then you could
select those portions you want and track them all at once into one
tree.

Same thing goes with the ZapBRI stuff and even the SpanDSP stuff. Some
of the distributed tools also allow you to "cherry pick" your patches.
You could easily have a a section of experimental code you are
incorporating into your nearly experimental machine without taking all
the other changes as well. And you could maintain it without much hair
loss.

Con for the distributed model is how easy it would be for some of the
modifications to be made available yet not tracked by Digium and it
could reduce the value of the primary version. I think there are still
enough of us that would contribute back anything we have so the
reduction wouldn't be that significant.