[Asterisk-Dev] Proposal: Nightly builds

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Apr 13 03:39:26 MST 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 03:26:59PM +0200, Stefan Gofferje wrote:
> Hi Folks!
>
> I would like to propose something I got to like very much from other
> projects: nightly builds.
> Not everybody likes CVS too much as CVS definitely is more kinda
> developer than an end-user tool.
> I think it would be great if somebody at Digium puts up a little script
> which takes the current stable and the current head branch and puts them
> into tar.gz files on ftp.digium.com (or whereever) at a fixed time each
> day/night.
> So, people can get the latest versions in a little more convinient way.

For which platform exactly? Which libraries collection? Mozilla and
OpenOffice have relatively few external dependencies. Asterisk, OTOH,
tends to have quite a few external dependencies. So the binary build
will only be good for a specific combination of libraries.

One way to spell out explicitly those dependencies is through package
formats: rpm packages are part of the Linux Standards Base. Though I
still don't know how good this will be in practice. The binary and
modules and the automatic dependencies should be rather portable. The
init scripts and such are not expected to be portable.

I'm still not sure how useful will such builds be.

And besides, there are the petty issues of disk space, bandwidth, and
such. But if there is a will...

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com