[Asterisk-Dev] Channels, jitterbuffer and PLC?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Apr 12 20:32:56 MST 2005

Steve Kann wrote:

> Also, not written here, is the alaw to ulaw case;  Here, is the only
> transcoding that does not go through slinear, and PLC isn't applied in
> this case either, but, I think that if that transcoder would pass
> through INTERP frames, the xlaw PLC stuff described above would do it's
> magic then.

Some recent changes to CVS may have changed this behavior behind your
back :-) When Asterisk sets up a transcoding path now, it _always_ goes
through slinear, unless the new optimization is turned off (via a
setting in asterisk.conf). Yes, this means that xlaw-to-xlaw conversion
is somewhat slower, but it also means that all applications that want to
deal with slinear on a bridge can do so easily.

It may also mean that xlaw-to-xlaw will, in fact, cause PLC to work its
magic, but I can't say for sure.