[Asterisk-Dev] Channels, jitterbuffer and PLC?

Bob Carlson bob.carlson at sigpro.com
Tue Apr 12 16:56:49 MST 2005

I am implementing a new channel module and just ran into a probable
misunderstanding on my part. Could someone check my understanding here?

My channel will be receiving SLINEAR only and the calls will be terminated
on the other side of * by a SIP channel (chan_sip) running a-law or u-law.
Thus the core will be delivering me packets in SLINEAR that have been
processed from RTP/a- or u-law. I will be feeding the SLINEAR to a TDM bus.

I had been under the impression that the core would be doing (or could be
told to do) jitter buffering and PLC. The channel modules I based mine on,
did not contain any code for these functions.  I have read several threads
on the new jitter buffer code and looked at some other channel code, like
IAX2 and it now appears to me that any channel needing JB and PLC must
implement them itself. Is that correct?

And the next question: is the new jitter buffer code easily integrated into
other channels like mine, so I don't have to re-invent the wheel?

Thanks, Bob