alternate SCM. Was Re: [Asterisk-Dev] Linux leaves Bitkeeper: quite a dustup

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Apr 12 12:30:07 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 13:07 -0500, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 07:32 -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> > Steven wrote:
> >
> > > With at least this portion of the thread showing some merit and some
> > > tangential relation to this list, I'll offer up that arch be considered.
> > > Specifically it is a good option for those who may be harboring private
> > > change sets that either can not be contributed or would not be
> > > accepted.
> >
> > Right, that is one the big reasons to consider switching in the first
> > place. Also, there is some value in being able to host a development
> > 'server' with commit permissions granted individually per-branch,
> > something that CVS/SVN/etc. cannot do. I've not yet looked at Monotone
> > or Arch (or darcs) to see how that would be handled, but it's on my
> > (long) list of things to do.
>
> So in helping get this topic fully in the open and delegated out to
> those of us in the community to start providing help, can we turn this
> into a discussion of needs and what SCM fulfills the needs?
>
> Lets define a few things. Needs are a requirement that can not be
> ignored or glossed over. Wants make life nice but might be glossed over
> if the needs are better served.
>
> So far on the needs list;
>
> Good user permission/separations per branch

Atomic commits

> Wants;
>
> Easier maintenance of private change sets
> Availability to the Mac, *BSD, and Windows groups without too many
> hoops.

Good binary file handling (for handling sounds, iaxy firmware)
Tagging & branching that can be understood by non-CVS gurus
Proper rename/remove support
Good merge support
Web interface for browsing source code repository
Documentation (esp. a "new-cool-scm-tool for CVS converts" document)

> Add in other requirements. Also add down here some comments about how we
> may best evaluate the tools without starting a holy SCM war.

For each need/want we should be able to list a number of "tests", which
could range from a simple "check their web site/documentation" to a
series of experiments to perform with each tool.

Jeff