[Asterisk-Dev] IAX proxy/redirect support

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Fri Apr 8 09:15:53 MST 2005

Michael Giagnocavo wrote:

>The closest is called a transfer. One end decides they want to step out of
>the conversation, and connect two endpoints. So the transfer-requester
>contacts the new endpoint and thus has 2 IAX calls established.
>
>Then, the requester sends a TXREQ to each of the calls, giving a random
>transfer ID + the address and callno of the other peer. Then each peer
>contacts the other with a TXCNT, expecting a TXACC reply. After a TXACC is
>received, the peers send a TXREADY to requester. When the request has both
>TXREADYs, it transmits a TXREL[ease].
>
>At this point, the requester only expects an ACK back, and then
>communications cease with the requester and it has successfully transferred
>out. The peers send a full voice frame to each other and the call continues
>on its merry way.
>
>Now.... the issues that rise are ones of billing and control. Since the two
>phones have transferred out of you and are only talking between each other,
>you have no control or information about the rest of the call.
>
>If you don't need control, then transfers are great. If you want correct
>CDRs and so on... then it's a problem. What I suggest building is an
>out-of-band signaling system for your gateways to keep accurate CDRs.

I think he's talking about registration-sessions, though, and not actual
calls. I don't think there's a way to redirect (transfer) a registration
request to another server.

But you can do simple load-balancing with multiple A records for a DNS
name, and I think that with CVS-HEAD, the cached A records will also
expire eventually.