[Asterisk-Dev] Fixing S100U driver for linux 2.6.x

Tue Apr 5 05:48:59 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 09:41 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 14:49 +1000, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> > It seems digium aren't interested in fixing the S100U driver for linux
> > 2.6.x, so I thought I might have a crack at it, hopefully with some
> > assistance from this list... (Note, their answer was to use linux
> > which I assume would work, but I want to use linux 2.6.x because of
> > the extra features/drivers/etc).
>
> You'll probably find that interfaces in the Linux USB core were changed.
> If this driver had been in the kernel at the time, it would also have
> been changed to match, but since it's maintained externally it wasn't.

Well, since it has lots of ifdef linux2.6, I figured someone had already
done most of this... Here is the code snippet I posted, which you cut:
Basically, it is failing at line 1486 (current CVS HEAD branch):
for (x = 0; x < 2; x++) {
#ifdef LINUX26
   if (usb_submit_urb(&p->dataread[x].urb,GFP_KERNEL))
#else
   if (usb_submit_urb(&p->dataread[x].urb))
#endif

Also, given that it actually compiles, it would seem that most of the
needed changes are indeed correct...

> Check for recent changes in similar drivers, and perhaps ask the
> linux-usb mailing list for assistance.

Yes, I may need to do that, though I suppose I was hoping to not need to
get my hands quite that dirty :)

So, has anyone actually looked at this/who made the changes that are
already there? Could you give me any guidance on what to look at/etc...

> In general, I try to avoid using hardware which doesn't have drivers
> actually _in_ Linus' official kernel. :)

Yes, so does that mean you don't use *any* digium hardware ?
IMHO, I'm not sure why the zaptel modules don't get included into the
official linux kernel... Especially considering that we do indeed have
'stable' versions, these should be included in the stable linux kernel
tree, in my opinion.

Regards,
Adam
Adam Goryachev