[Asterisk-Dev] Codec not negotiating

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Apr 4 21:05:10 MST 2005

Michael Giagnocavo wrote:
> In my patch, I think I have a special value that CODEC_OVERRIDE can be:
> NATIVE. If you set that, then when an IAX call goes out, it'll take the
> current native format and request that only. I forget if there's a SIP
> implementation. Have a look at the override patch :)

Well, part of the patch I'm working on includes changing
chan->nativeformat to actually hold _all_ the formats the channel is
capable of handling, not just the one that is selected (which is always
what is in ->rawreadformat and ->rawwriteformat). In that case, the
NATIVE mode won't quite work... but I'll provide equivalent
functionality, don't worry :-)

Keep in mind that some of this work requires modifying channel drivers
as well, because some of them will allow other codecs to be chosen than
the 'preferred' one if the peer/user supports it. For example, setting
the desired format in IAX2 is not adequate if you still tell the other
end that you support other formats and they have the 'codec preference'
flag pointing their way.