[Asterisk-Dev] bluetooth audio driver interaction

Chris Lee cslee-list at cybericom.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 02:12:14 MST 2004

awilliam at whitemice.org wrote:
>>I am working with a group doing a bluetooth audio driver on linux.
>>(http://sourceforge.net/projects/bluetooth-alsa/)
>>We're currently trying to decide how to tell an audio client (such as
>>asterisk) that the bluetooth headset is connecting to the host or allow the
>>audio client to notify the driver that it needs to bring up the headset
>>connection (such as for an incoming call).
>>We currently use a daemon ("btsco") that sees connection events and will
>>eventually initiate headset connections. Currently, the only way for an audio
>>client to figure out what is happening is to notice the fact that reads and
>>writes to the audio device will block when the headset is not connected. That
>>behavior may need to change.
>>What would be the preferred way of delivering driver events back and forth
>>from the asterisk point of view?
>

> DBUS?
If the device is connected then a device should exist for that device so
hotplug is the way to go for connected and dis-connected, however for
device  events there should be a "device" representing the headset part,
so when connected hotplug loads headset module which provides an 'audio
in', 'audio out' and a 'headset' device.
The headset device is used to receive the answered event and to send the
ring event and any other headset device management functions.
This should hold true for any BT/USB device Like a BT/USB handset should
have a 'handset' device which provides key-pres events, on and off hook
status and allow for the ringing status to be sent etc.
These "devices" should have a community decided (BT/USB) API so all
headset modules provide the same interface.

I Know nothing about DBUS (off to the site to learn) but these are my 2
cents worth)

Chris.