[OT] Re: [Asterisk-Dev] Technical and hardware specifications

el Flynn el_flynn at lanvik-icu.com
Wed Sep 29 23:53:07 MST 2004

Benjamin on Asterisk Mailing Lists wrote:
> I guess adding the an "OT" to the subject to mark
> the thread as off-topic will be helpful.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind :)

> This means that Zaptel is a bit like an adoptive child for whom there
> are situations where it is unclear whether the biological parents, the
> foster parents or the community are/is responsible for the child. This
> also means that if you are looking for hardware that matches the
> original free Zaptel cards, you can get the specs from Jim Dixon's
> site

I've already looked at the site and gotten the specs etc. What I was
wondering is, if I can get all the required material, and find someone
here in Malaysia to build it, would I need some extra firmware for the
card to work? Or would it just "work" with the Digium drivers?

> So if you
> must use non-X100P cards to get type approved hardware, you may want
> to find some other way to contribute something back to the Asterisk
> community.

I'm definitely for this idea, and I'd love to give back to the
community, but unfortunately funds are somewhat lacking right now :)

> Perhaps we should set up a mailing list and/or a
> website/Wiki-page for sharing information on the topic and then see if
> we can set up some kind of donation/sponsorship instrument to allow
> people in key locations to undertake the type approval.

Kind of like setting up the EFF or FSF funds kind of thing? That would
be interesting, but it would boil down to finding a reliable and
trustworthy party to be responsible for managing the cash, I suppose.

Flynn