[Asterisk-Dev] voicemail filenames

Ben Merrills ben at griffin.com
Wed Sep 29 04:11:19 MST 2004

Hi,

Voicemail creates new messages in the format msgXXXX, now, I've not
looked at the code but if you delete a file(s), say msg0000.* leaving
msg0001.* still there, It wont pick up that last message. I know this
would normally not be an issue, you shouldn't be deleting voicemail for
a user from the file-system, however... We had a situation the other
week where someone forwarded their calls to another phone. All the calls
that came through were from a queue, and the extension number that was
forwarded to included a voicemail handler (Macro-stdexten) which means
each time a call rang off on the redirected phone, it left them a
voicemail.

300 voicemails later, we had a problem. Some of them were genuine, and
some where blank from the queue. But if I delete any of the voicemails,
then I have to renumber ALL of them.

Could the voicemails be time stamped instead (unix file time style?) of
msgXXXX format? This would mean you could delete a file, and not need to
reorder files!

E.g. msg0000.* would become 1093529364.*

Just a suggestion, makes more sense to me, but don't know if anyone else
has found themselves in this situation?

Cheers,

Ben

Griffin Internet