[Asterisk-Dev] SIP - how does * decide codec order of preference

Alex Zeffertt ajz at cambridgebroadband.com
Tue Sep 28 02:52:24 MST 2004

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about how Asterisk decides in which order of
preference it should list the different codecs in its SDP message during
SIP call setup.

In my sip.conf [general] section I've got

	disallow=all
	allow=gsm
	allow=ulaw
	allow=alaw

But when Asterisk bridges a call from an E1 to VoIP it sends out an
INVITE with the codecs listed in the following order of preference

	alaw, gsm, ulaw

It looks as if Asterisk is trying to minimise its work (alaw is what is