[Asterisk-Dev] Digium and mailing lists

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Sun Sep 26 16:16:57 MST 2004

>>I would certainly be willing to organise hosting through another company
>>that wouldn't be at risk from vexatious legal claims.  This would allow
>>genuinely open discussion on the lists and would mean that no messages
>>would need to be censored from the archives.
>>

>And the reason you crossposted this to -dev is what, exactly?!

Someone decided that the source code I posted on the -dev list needed to
be censored, without even notifying the -dev list.  This same person,
through a posting on the -users list, even went so far as to infer that
the source code, which originated at Intel, is illegal and in violation
of the GPL.

Source code is a fair subject for -dev and is also freedom of speech,
depending on where you live.

I'm sure that there are people who may want to contribute to this
project who would like to know exactly why this code was censored, so
that they can ensure their own contributions are 'legitimate' in the
eyes of the censors.

So now that we've seen all the strong language and emotional
expressions, let's get down to business:

Which source files and lines of code are in question?

Which clause(s) in the GPL were broken?

Which laws were broken: patent or copyright?

If someone can't answer these questions with genuine evidence, then I'd
like to request that my original posting be re-instated and all the
'off-topic' posts can be removed.