[Asterisk-Dev] Digium and mailing lists

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Sun Sep 26 11:17:05 MST 2004

I was somewhat concerned reading Mark's posting earlier today.

Obviously, things are very bad in the US at the moment.  Their
Government even deported Cat Stevens the other day (check
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3686992.stm ).

Clearly, given the fact that Digium contributes so much to Asterisk,
they shouldn't be forced to risk their company's future by hosting these
mailing lists in such an unstable environment where they could get sued
for any ridiculous reason.  Even an unjustified, ambit claim could
generate huge defence costs on Digium's part, and cripple their ability
to contribute to Asterisk.

Therefore, it seems to be in the best interests of Asterisk's `security'
to have the mailing lists hosted by someone other than Digium and maybe
in a country that doesn't prohibit freedom of expression.

I would certainly be willing to organise hosting through another company
that wouldn't be at risk from vexatious legal claims.  This would allow
genuinely open discussion on the lists and would mean that no messages
would need to be censored from the archives.