[Asterisk-Dev] G.729 and Asterisk intellectual property issues

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Sun Sep 26 03:44:29 MST 2004

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 11:57:54AM -0500, Eric Wieling wrote:

>>On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 07:24, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>>

>>>However,
>>>the distribution of the g729 libraries themselves are almost certainly
>>>infringing.
>>>

>>Then why can you download the G729 source code from the ITU for free?
>>

>Where?  All the links I see require you to be a member or pay money.
>
>http://www.itu.int/rec/recommendation.asp?type=items&lang=e&parent=T-REC-G.729-199603-I

You can get the complete protocol and a working example at
http://www.uspto.gov, no registration required.  Search for G.729 and
you get 297 results - the original patent is the very last one in the list.

The very nature of patent legislation is that the technology in question
has to be made available to the public for purposes of education and
further research.

_using_ the technology without a license may be an infringement, but
downloading it for the purpose of study or research is perfectly legitimate.