[Asterisk-Dev] G.729 and Asterisk intellectual property issues

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Sat Sep 25 05:24:09 MST 2004

    -- snip --

Had the patch been against the actual g729 libraries the case would have
been clear. Now, the patch is against asterisk to make it interoperate
with the g729 libarary and this may or may not be non-infringing. However,
the distribution of the g729 libraries themselves are almost certainly
infringing. There is also the possibility that the patch to asterisk may
be ruled a contribuatory infringement.

-- snip --

The patch is not against Asterisk - it is against Intel's sample code.

No parts of Asterisk are modified in order to run this code.  Nor am I
requesting that Asterisk be modified in any way to support this.

The code produced by running the build script is a shared library that
can be added to Asterisk.  The shared library could be used
independently of Asterisk, and Asterisk can still be used without the
shared library.

It is completely optional whether people choose to integrate this code
with Asterisk.  However, I understand that it probably can't be added to
the main distribution and I am happy to continue making it available in
source form as an add-on module for those who would like to evaluate
it.  I certainly never expected that it would be adopted as an official
inclusion in Asterisk, and I certainly won't take offence if it isn't.

The relevent terms from Intel's license are below.  (B) says that I have
the right to modify the source code and (C) says that I can combine
portions of the sample source into a product and then distribute the
resulting application.

B. Subject to all of the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Intel
grants to you a non-exclusive, non-assignable copyright license to
modify the Materials, or any portions thereof, that are (i) provided in
source code form or, (ii) are defined as Redistributables and are
provided in text form.

C. Subject to all of the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Intel
grants to you a non-exclusive, non-assignable copyright license to
distribute (except under an Evaluation License as specified below) the
Redistributables and Sample Source, or any portions thereof, as part of
the product or application you developed using the Materials.