[Asterisk-Dev] Interaction between Asterisk kernel and Hardware

Régis MARTIN tornad-asterisk at tornad.net
Fri Sep 24 07:47:25 MST 2004

Hi,

Can you give me your opinion on the interaction between Asterisk (kernel and
standard native application) and differents hardwares components (disk,
processor, memory)

Disk :

Is there lot of disk usage in the asterisk kernel ?

I have a look on the code of some asterisk application (Dial, MeetMe,
) and
It seems to me that the main work of any application was to :

      Get Frame from channels

      Manage Frame

      Send another frame back to channel or send the frame to another
channel.

So, for me, it's 95% processor work.

Is there any particular things in asterisk code that explain disk usage ?
Swap temporary event,.. ?

Does it better to optimise Read access or write access ?

Memory :

Can you also explain me when asterisk use lot of memory ?

All case studies I saw recommend 1 or 2 Go server when there’s IVR features.
But I didn't see why it's so important ?

For a simple IVR message, with a size of 10Ko. If the whole message is
loaded in memory, for 120 calls, I need 120 * 10 = 1200 Ko <== 1 Mo !!

For phone management or dialing / receiving application (on any channels
type), I don’t see why lot of memory are needed.

In conclusion, I think that processor is the main point in asterisk
architecture. Memory and disk are less important in asterisk performance.
Can you agree with this conclusion ?

Thanks for you answer.

Holger : I hope it’s more source code related. It’s important for me to have
the developer overview of the hardware utilisation in the heart of asterisk.
;o)

Best Regards

Regis