[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Embedded?

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Thu Sep 23 14:57:00 MST 2004

Kenneth Shaw wrote:

>On a wireless device, yes, bad idea.
>
>A regular style home phone, that doesn't need a full PBX, would need
>answering machine type features.
>
>Also, if you want to take the phone company out of the equation or
>third-parties out of the equation, you need this capability.
>
>-Ken Shaw...

Obviously, you have never lived here in Britain.  Here, a regular phone
line can be down for up to a week.  The day I started running a VoIP
service, a mysterious fault took out my own home phone line and DSL for
more than 24 hours, and BT never gave me an explanation.

Even British Telecom's nuke-proof underground exchange in Manchester
suffered a major week long outage this year, even emergency services
were denied communications, check out this article for some reasons why
a VoIP revolution is needed here and preferably soon:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/features/2004/03/31/if_the_phones_failed.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/have_your_say/2004/03/31/phones_day3.shtml

Companies who had established multiple peering arrangements and IP based
routing of their phone calls (using products like Asterisk running in
data centers) were able to withstand this catastrophe.