[Asterisk-Dev] Windows

matt.riddell at sineapps.com matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Tue Sep 21 08:00:53 MST 2004

On 21 Sep 2004 at 22:40, list at asd-group.com wrote:

> I don't think I asked for anything other than expressions of interest
> regarding drivers, but thanks for your opinions anyway.
>
> To be honest, I don't care what you think.

I know it may seem hard to believe, but his comments were actually
thinly veiled help!

:-)

What he's getting at is that you can basically get a computer that
will run Asterisk for less money than it would cost for say, a
propreitry software licence.

Maybe your time is worth nothing to you (i highly doubt it), but if
it's worth even a dollar per hour, it's going to work out cheaper to
get some cheap box and install asterisk on it than it will take to
port a linux driver to windows.

Without even going into the security concerns (why is it that
everyone thinks that the app is the only entry point - i.e. what's
the point having a firewall on windows when viewing a jpeg gets a
hacker all the way in), the normal way to do things (in a windows
environment) is to have a linux box doing Asterisk and then run soft-
phones/management software on Windows.

You can get some really amazing open source software for graphical
interfaces to Asterisk, it's configuration and statistics, and with
the choices between AGI, Dialplan and Manager interface you have the
ability to program with whatever language you like (as well as being
able to chose between TCP interfaces or STDIO interfaces).

The thing with Asterisk is that if you set it up right (or get
someone to set it up for you) you shouldn't even need to deal with
linux.

I think you'll find the reason some people get so upset is that it's
like standing outside a movie theatre with tickets you're giving away
for free and having people say to you "no thanks, that's okay, I'd
rather pay".  If this were to happen more than a few times, it's not
hard to see how some end up banging their heads pretty hard on walls.

Having said all this, the choice remains up to you, and all I ask is
that you enjoy the Asterisk PABX and don't hold back from finding out
it's full potential.

I wish you luck for your journey

Cheers,

Matt Riddell