[Asterisk-Dev] Fax support?

John Paul Morrison jmorrison at bogomips.com
Mon Sep 20 14:05:01 MST 2004

On a related note, has anyone looked at passing T.38 through Asterisk?
I've looked at traces between a Multitech T.38 adapter and a Cisco gateway
being proxied/bridged through Asterisk (I have a situation where I can't use
sip reinvite).

The Multitech and Cisco setup OK as a voice codec and then dynamically
negotiate
over the RTP channel. When Asterisk is in the middle, it sees this and drops
the RTP
on the floor. There are several different places in the code where it checks
and may
drop an unknown RTP codec/payload. This seems pretty inefficient - why not
have a fastpath
if you are just bridging two sessions together? In this case it would also
mean that T.38
should pass through unharmed by Asterisk.