[Asterisk-Dev] Hardware details for the Digium TDM400P

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sun Sep 19 14:06:11 MST 2004

On Saturday 18 September 2004 08:30, list at asd-group.com wrote:
> I’m looking for a telephony card which does a reasonable amount of
> processing on-board so that the PC isn’t overstretched or interrupted too
> often (it will be going in a Via EPIA system, which has one physical PCI
> slot with a riser that has to accommodate a WLAN card too, so it *has* to
> share an interrupt). I’m a bit concerned from what I’ve read that the
> TDM400P might be fairly unintelligent, leave most work to the PC, and
> interrupt it a lot.

Digium drivers set up a 1000Hz interrupt.  Not terribly fast by any standard.
Depending on what you're sharing with this may or may not be a problem.  Also
if the system has an IO-APIC you might be able to get the interrupts
separated anyway; it all depends on how the chipset actually has the
interrupts routed.

If the WLAN driver isn't too horribly slow with its interrupt servicing you
might not even notice a problem sharing IRQs; you need to test it though to
be sure.

-A.