[Asterisk-Dev] SMP is this the correct behavior??

Gilad Ben-Yossef gilad at codefidence.com
Sat Sep 18 23:03:04 MST 2004

>> Asterisk dose not appear to be balancing any of its child processes
>> between
>> the CPUS, it appears to bounce all of the processes from one CPU to the
>> other. I have included several outputs from top displaying the last
>> CPU used
>> for each thread. Is this how asterisk works with threading or should the
>> processes be somewhat balanced over both processors?

Have you considered the possibility that the scheduling mechnism (which
is in the kernel and doesn't have anything to do with Asterisk) prefers
a hot cache to "balancing the threads"?

I won't be surprised if this not only the reason but actually buys you
more perfomance.

Gilad.

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef <gilad at codefidence.com>
Codefidence. A name you can trust(tm)
Web: http://codefidence.com  | SIP: gilad at pbx.codefidence.com
Tel: +972.9.8650475 ext. 201 | Fax:  +972.9.8850643

"I am Jack's Overwritten Stack Pointer"
	-- Hackers Club, the movie