[Asterisk-Dev] Hardware details for the Digium TDM400P

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Sep 18 21:25:19 MST 2004

For any PC made in the last few years, processing four lines of
telephony on the host will barely load that host. Remember that if you
buy a card like the Dialogic ones, you get very little processing power
on the card. If can only do simple things like DTMF detection and
elementary ADPCM compression/decompression. Any serious computing -
like, say, a G,729 codec - still needs to be performed by the host.

When you look at larger scale work - T1/E1 scale and up - there are
valid arguments for and against putting serious processing power on the
card. For a four line card there has been no real technical argument in
favour of on board processing for several years. There are some valid
arguments related to product approvals in some countries, but those
issues are also much less of a problem than they used to be.

Regards,
Steve