[Asterisk-Dev] Hardware details for the Digium TDM400P

list at asd-group.com list at asd-group.com
Sat Sep 18 18:35:31 MST 2004

Thanks for the feedback - it sounds like the TDM400P is generally a well
thought of card with a couple of minor problems (probably in the drivers)
that aren't show stopping given the occasional power cycle.

I think I'll use it, but I am a bit concerned about the level of PC
horsepower needed.

It has to go in a Via EPIA system with their C3 (Nehemiah core) processor at
1.2ghz (with full speed FPU). That's supposed to be equivalent to a
similarly clocked P3 or Celeron.

Will than be enough grunt for the TDM400P to power a SOHO system with one
telco line and three internal extensions (ie one FXO and three FXS modules)?

I wish that Digium would make just a one or two page "how it works" doc
about the card and card-driver interaction. What registers does it have, and
what do they do? When are interrupts generated, what for, and how frequently
per call? Does it use DMA, and how? What does it do well? What does it do
poorly? What could be improved on in the driver? How does the driver do
things? You know, just basic stuff.

It's not nice having to guess from driver code, which is hard to understand
(esp the DSP code), possibly bug ridden (no offence) and not guaranteed to
fully utilise the card's hardware facilities. A little bit of info would
make understanding the lower levels of the software much easier.