[Asterisk-Dev] results: Intel's IPP G.729 with Asterisk

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Fri Sep 17 20:20:39 MST 2004

I've ported Intel's IPP-based codec to Asterisk and the results are
printed below.  Does anyone know how this compares to Digium's codec -
could someone post similar stats?

The code is currently pre-alpha - the Intel demo didn't look after
releasing memory, etc, because it was just a demo to be run in
`one-shot' mode.  If the feedback I get suggests that these benchmarks
are good, then I will clean up my implementation so that it is safe for
continuous, 24x7 operation, and if messy patent and copyright laws
permit, release it publicly.  If anyone believes this is worth pursuing
further, please feel free to contact me on or off the list.

This was executed on a P4 2.8GHz with 512MB RAM.  Lot's of Mozilla and
virtual machine based applications running at the same time too.  The
phone I'm using with it is a Budgetone 102 with latest firmware, audio
sounds fine in both directions.

h1*CLI> show translation
        Translation times between formats (in milliseconds)
         Source Format (Rows) Destination Format(Columns)

        G723   GSM  ULAW  ALAW  G726 ADPCM SLINR LPC10 G729A SPEEX  ILBC
  G723     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -
   GSM     -     -     2     2     -     2     1     8    12     -    24
  ULAW     -     6     -     1     -     2     1     8    12     -    24
  ALAW     -     6     1     -     -     2     1     8    12     -    24
 ADPCM     -     6     2     2     -     -     1     8    12     -    24
 SLINR     -     5     1     1     -     1     -     7    11     -    23
 LPC10     -     7     3     3     -     3     2     -    13     -    25
 G729A     -     7     3     3     -     3     2     9     -     -    25
  ILBC     -     9     5     5     -     5     4    11    15     -     -