[Asterisk-Dev] Codec test suite, Intel's G.729 Implementation

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Fri Sep 17 13:15:44 MST 2004

alex at pilosoft.com wrote:

>You do know that you can't use intel's {or any other sample} g.729
>implementation for commercial purposes without actually paying the patent
>owners for license?
>
>-alex

Yes, I think that is very clearly understood.  Of course, we should be
very grateful to these people for inventing this technology and then
making it public through the patent process.  The patent system, like it
or hate it, does allow us to educate ourselves with technologies like
this in a commercial-free environment such as this mailing list.

If anyone finds G.729 code useful and decides to use it in a commercial
way, I believe they can purchase a license allowing them to do so.  I
don't know whether a license is needed for benchmarking or testing
product compatibility.  However, I do suspect that if you are running a
commercial SIP service, or selling Asterisk servers ready-made, you
would need to make sure someone paid the license fees.

There is a price list and license conditions at http://www.sipro.com