[Asterisk-Dev] Codec test suite, Intel's G.729 Implementation

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Wed Sep 15 15:36:34 MST 2004

Hi,

I've just been evaluating the G.729 implementation sample from Intel's
IPP libraries (complete G.729 sample can be downloaded from
http://www.intel.com/software/products/ipp/speech_code.htm).  It appears
Intel has made this code available free for evaluation purposes.

Is the Digium G.729 code based on this implementation?

Is there a way I can benchmark and/or compare the Digium implementation
against the Intel code?  Is there a test harness for Asterisk codecs?

Also, is there some way to run multiple simultaneous threads of the
Digium G.729 codec in a test environment without having to license every
thread?

The Intel codec works with G.729 in a 'bitstream' format that is
described in the ITU G.729 test suite, can Asterisk operate with this
type of data and convert it to RTP format?

So far, on my P4 2.8GHz (single CPU) I've been able to simultaneously
run 80 threads of the Intel code and complete encoding fast enough for
real time.  I suspect that 80 threads is the same as just 40 phone
calls, because a phone call goes is full duplex.  Is anyone in a
position to try this test on a dual Xeon 3.2GHz?

daniel at h1:~/src/g729/ipp_sample/speech-coding/G729-float/bin$ time
./g729fpencoder -v -s 1 -t 80 /tmp/demo.raw /tmp/demo.g729
33.79 MHz per channel
Done 220960 samples of 8000 Hz PCM wave file (27.62 sec)

2762 frame(s) processed
Completed !

real    0m26.930s
user    0m19.838s