[Asterisk-Dev] Purpose of trunkfreq in iax.conf?

Kris Boutilier Kris.Boutilier at scrd.bc.ca
Fri Sep 10 07:33:10 MST 2004

I'm having a call quality problem with iax trunking. Specifically, when
'notrunking=no' between hosts I get very choppy/stuttery audio - the
interference has a regular interval and occurs once or twice a second.
Others on the list have reported similar problems with CVS code checked out
since early August but I'm still disinclined to suspect a bug otherwise
there would have been a flood of reports by now...

What caught my eye was the setting in /etc/asterisk/iax.conf:

 trunkfreq=20                   ; How frequently to send trunk msgs (in ms)

If the system is forcing out these message packets every 20ms by default yet
the link performance is measurable as:

 Peer             Username    ID (Lo/Rem)  Seq (Tx/Rx)  Lag      Jitter
JitBuf  Format
 10.0.40.240      astpbx-wha  00001/00001  00017/00018  00036ms  0035ms
0047ms  GSM

Then isn't the trunking code itself congesting the link? That said, what's
contained in a 'trunk message'. If I were to turn this down to, say, 250ms
what might be the consequences?

Kris Boutilier
Information Systems Coordinator
Sunshine Coast Regional District