[Asterisk-Dev] MeetMe with SMP and no USB

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Sep 9 12:18:08 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 14:13, Matthew Boehm wrote:
> Why is it that most of the other app_*.so programs don't need this hardware
> clock? What is so special about MeetMe that it 'DOES' need a hardware clock?

Actually it goes a bit deeper than just having the clock. The audio
mixing happens int the zapata drivers and the clock is required to keep
the zpata drivers churning through the code. I'm sure if someone with
the appropriate audio knowledge could write an audio mixer that could
deal with VAD and incorporate it into meetme, it would be accepted, but
till then, the solution is to stuff all the audio down into a zapata
library and let it mix away happily for us.

As for other apps, they don't do audio mixing from several channels the
same way. I'm sure the mixing in zapata was done for things like 3way
calling.