[Asterisk-Dev] MeetMe with SMP and no USB

Gilad Ben-Yossef gilad at codefidence.com
Thu Sep 9 04:47:06 MST 2004

Tilghman Lesher wrote:

>On Wednesday 08 September 2004 10:03, Matthew Boehm wrote:
>

>>That's a $100 card and I'd really rather not add more hardware to this
>>machine. It might not even have an open slot for it. If it does, does
>>anything need to be plugged into the card to use it for MeetMe or can it
>>work without anything.
>>
>>This seemed more like a dev issue since I'm dealing with source code,
>>timers, and hardware.
>>

>The MeetMe app requires a 1000Hz clock for timing.  This is the timing within
>the Zaptel hardware.  The UHCI USB interface can be made to provide this, as
>it also generates a 1000Hz clock signal.  While there are other sources of
>timing available, they are either not available or they do not provide a
>perfect 1000Hz timing source.
>
>You're certainly welcome to moan and complain (preferably off list) for $100
>worth of your time, but it isn't going to do any good, and with that $100, you
>could have saved it and plunked it down for an X100P.

Moaning and complaining aside :-) I know (because I've done and it
works) that one can easily change the definition of HZ macro of the
Linux kernel (param.h) from it's default of 100 (on x86) to 1000, thus
setting regular timer tick of Linux to 1000Hz.

In fact, in 2.6 I believe that 1000 is even the default value as well as
being the defult value on PPC and Alpha.

So, assuming the regular timer tick of the system is of 1000Hz, does an
outside timing source is really required?

Cheers,
Gilad