[Asterisk-Dev] Delay/latency on SIP phone with Asterisk

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Tue Oct 26 17:19:20 MST 2004

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 06:21 pm, chris.armour at sympatico.ca wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for how to reduce latency in Asterisk? I
> have just a small "hobby" system running on a PII 400 MHz with a SIP
> (X-Lite) softclient and a SIP hard-phone (Integrated Networks IN1002 -
> PA1688-based phone).
>
> I am experiencing a significant delay - perhaps 500 ms or so - on the Echo
> test and when one client calls the other, which is obviously not good.
>
> I am running the Asterisk 1.0 release on Fedora Core 2 (2.6 kernel). I've
> been through the various articles on the WIKI without much joy.
>
> Thanks!

Interestingly enough I have 3-4ms on Gransdtream and 45ms on Snom.

They are on the same managed switch. In the same virtual switch together only
with Asterisk. Switching ports makes no difference.

Now we do have Grandstream running 10BaseT in half duplex and Snom on 100BaseT
running full duplex. Asterisk is also running 100BaseT and full duplex.  Hmm,
maybe time to switch back to ethernet... Haha!

Pinging both, reveals Grandstream having an average of 0.39 ms delay and Snom
has an average of 0.486. Hardly makes up for the difference.

Let's see, Grandstream has a REALLY cheap network circuit. Snom has ... ?
I don't know. I did not see what chipset they use. But it could hardly be
cheaper than GS. So what's left is processors and general circuit design, and
of course firmware.

Looks like it might be time to review the CPU on Snom. Who would have guessed
it's that under powered. Now I can see why it oftens (during various firmware
versions) has laggy responses, it needs a bigger CPU to keep up with the
load.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin