[Asterisk-Dev] G729 in non-realtime mode - way forward for Asterisk?

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Mon Oct 25 03:50:26 MST 2004

Kevin Walsh wrote:

>>If the use of a G729 converter in batch mode  for non-realtime is
>>royalty-free, then this would be a way forward to live happily ever
>>after with Asterisk in passthrough mode only.
>>

>If this usage of G.729 was royalty-free then it would have been
>implemented in sox (and various other sound processing utilities)
>by now.  I don't know the actual status, but I'd be surprised if the
>monopolists had willingly given up one of their revenue streams in this
>way.

You will find example code in my G.729 demonstration source code.  In
addition to the codec_g729  shared library implementation, there are two
executables, one which converts raw 16bit 8khz signed linear to G.729,
and there is another which does the reverse.

You could manually convert your prompts if you wished to, or you could
combine this code into another application.

To avoid violating the license (if you live in a country which
recognises these patents), you could record a set of Asterisk prompts
from a phone that has G.729 built in - then Asterisk isn't actually
converting from one codec to another.