[Asterisk-Dev] A crazy idea... Skype channel in Asterisk

Sat Oct 23 01:51:28 MST 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:35:30 -0600, Michael Giagnocavo
<mgg-digium at atrevido.net> wrote:

> Because Skype currently has many million people already
> using it?

Don't underestimate IAX.

The number of service providers supporting IAX is growing steadily
because IAX is open. On the other hand Skype-Out is a monopolist
service because Skype is closed. IAX providers are quite possibly
terminating more minutes than Skype.

I am confident that IAX will become an IETF standard in the not so
distant future. On the other hand, there is very little chance that
Skype's secretive and proprietary closed protocol will ever be opened,
let alone become an official standard.

> Connecting with Skype and having a better client aren't mutually
> exclusive goals.

They are. If people hadn't been so utterly stupid in the early
nineties flirting with Microsoft, then we wouldn't have an illegal
monopoly today so powerful that they can continuously break the law
with impunity.

So, I say it again. Stay away from Skype. It's another wannabe
Microsoft in the making and we must not support their monopolist
conquest. Avoid them like the plague.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.