[Asterisk-Dev] DUNDi (Was: A crazy idea... Skype channel in Asterisk)

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht list+asterisk-dev at lists.wsrcc.com
Wed Oct 20 12:29:18 MST 2004

kevin at cursor.biz (Kevin Walsh) writes:
> Also, it seems to me that every DUNDi peer must be queried for every
> new request.  This would only happen for numbers that have not already
> been cached and have not expired due to TTL expiry.  If this happens
> then will every DUNDi peer on the planet eventually get queried for
> every original request made by any client (query depth limits
> notwithstanding)?  Apart from the wasted bandwidth, it could take all
> year to find that a requested number is simply not in the system.
>
> The ENUM, being central, has the advantage of knowing how to direct
> each request to aim directly for the node that is responsible for the
> requested number.

ENUM is also based on DNS which has negative response caching and to
some extent is designed to cope with repeated queries for non-existent
domains.  (And even then we have had white-papers talking about the
overwhelming number of queries for BS domains seen at the root and
next-level up domain servers.)

My gut reaction is that this seems like an awful lot of new code just
to do something that an open ENUM-like DB would do.  If the problem is
that none of the current ENUM administrators will delegate, then
*that* is the problem that needs fixing.  Creating a new protocol
simply to get around the delegations problems is a bit over the top.

-wolfgang