[Asterisk-Dev] A crazy idea... Skype channel in Asterisk

steve at daviesfam.org steve at daviesfam.org
Tue Oct 19 00:02:06 MST 2004

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Thomas Horsten wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 steve at daviesfam.org wrote:
>
> > You are contravening the Skype terms and conditions of use by making any
> > attempt to reverse engineer.  Its as closed as closed can be.
>
> Reverse engineering is fair use. At the very least, it is extremely hard
> to win a lawsuit against someone for merely reverse engineering a
> protocol.

So it'll go to court, I presume.  The terms and conditions you agreed to
when you installed Skype software included your agreement to those terms I
posted, amongst others.

Why bother with Skype when Digium and all the people on this list are
working to create real open protocols like IAX, and to support real open
protocols like SIP?  Lets rather make an open soft client that's better
than Skype.

Adam - how can we persuade you to bring a community into developing
Firefly?

Steve