[Asterisk-Dev] GPL Licensing Question

Michael Giagnocavo mgg-digium at atrevido.net
Fri Oct 15 16:13:45 MST 2004

>First, learn about non HTML mail. Turn on line wraps.

Sorry about that.

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure it was ok to release GPL
code that links to Asterisk as well as to LGPL code. Wasn't looking for a
reply to protect a business :).

Thanks,
-Michael

> How exactly does this work in regards to modules? As I understand,
> code that links to GPL code needs to be GPL also. Does this mean I
> can?t write a module that links to Mono (which is LGPL and MIT X11
> licensed) even if my module code is GPL?

LGPL and GPL are compatible, MIT and BSD are GPL compatible although the
resulting code must be GPLed. Not familiar with the X11 license other
than a little about the new flap that created X.org out of XFree.

If you wish to make a module that links with asterisk and wish to
distribute it, you either must pay Digium for that right or you must
make the code GPL.

This all has been covered before and is easily accessable in the archive
with the help of google. It is also important if you had to ask these
questions and wish to sell a product to go consult a lawyer as to your
rights under the various software licenses. Anything less is
irresponsible as a business.

To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: