[Asterisk-Dev] RE: 487 message in response to CANCEL

Tom Schroer asterisknow at golinx.net
Fri Oct 15 06:25:27 MST 2004

> Message: 9
> Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 14:34:47 +0100
> From: "Michael Procter" <michael.procter at citel.com>
> Subject: RE: [Asterisk-Dev] 487 message in response to CANCEL
>

> > However, asterisk does not send a 487 message to the
> > calling party.  I wanted to get others' opinions on whether
> this last
> > issue, where no 487 message is sent to the calling party, is
> > consistent with 3261.  Here is the call flow of what is occurring.
>
> RFC3261 requires a 487 to be sent.  However, it notes that equipment
> compliant with the earlier SIP spec (RFC2543) will not issue the 487,
> and so RFC3261-compliant equipment should be compatible with both
> approaches.
>
> Therefore, Asterisk MUST send the 487, but SHOULD NOT require it of
> party B in your diagram.  See RFC3261 section 9.1 (last para) and
> section 28.1 (bullet 5).
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael Procter
Thanks so much for responding, I interpreted the rfc in a similar
manner.  I attempted to look through chan_sip to see if anything would
jump out at me to see why * was not sending a 487 message - not sure if
that's the right place to look nor was I sure what I was looking for.
Even with the latest CVS release (CVS-HEAD-10/07/04-08:19:37), * is not
sending a 487 message.  Bug maybe?

Tom Schroer