[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk and Internet Phone/Line Jack

Matt Riddell matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Thu Oct 14 20:09:45 MST 2004

Michael Prendeville wrote:
> try redhat 9.0 i've notice that there are alot of complaits about fedora core in all aspects of compiling or useing.

I think you'll find there is a slight bias here.  Most of the people who
are new to Linux try to get Redhat because it's the only one they've
hear of.

They then try to get Redhat for free (ending up at redhat enterprise
pages), and then find that if they want Redhat for free you have to get
the "fedora" copy (it would appear to a no0b that these are just the
same software).

Once people have used Redhat's distros for a while they realise that
there's better (or different) choices out there.

Once people get to this stage they usually have at least a basic
understanding of Linux.

Therefore you're more likely to get messages from Fedora Core users who
have problems compiling/using etc Linux and or Asterisk.

While there are definitely some strange things that Fedora Core does
that are different from other/vanilla kernels, for Asterisk it usually
works fine right out of the box (assuming you have the necessary
prerequisites [sp?]).

Cheers,

Matt Riddell
http://www.sineapps.com/news.php (Daily Asterisk News - html)