[Asterisk-Dev] Dial vs. pbx_exec('Dial')

Matthew Boehm mboehm at cytelcom.com
Thu Oct 14 11:19:47 MST 2004

Is there going to be "that" much of a difference, resource wise, in doing
the following:

exten => 400,1,SomeApp(400)
exten => 400,2,Dial(${RESULTOF_SOMEAPP})

vs.

exten => 400,1,SomeAppA(400)   (SomeAppA calls pbx_exec('Dial') internally)

I've been researching into TrollPhone.org's rate_engine and I noticed that
it didn't handle the calls itself;
instead it created a chan var with the new number to be dialed, and you were
suposed to pass that along to Dial().

I wanted to change the code of the rate engine to do the dialing itself.

Am I going to gain anything by having the app do the dialing itself?

Thanks,
Matthew