[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Manager and app_dial challenge.

Brian Roy b.t.roy at brianandkelly.ws
Tue Oct 12 13:42:47 MST 2004

All,

Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated.

I have written a pre-alpha Call Data Server in Java for Asterisk. It is
designed to provide similar functionality to circuit switch CTI
solutions (like Genesys) including maintaining call state, extension
state, and most importantly - carry user specified data elements with
the call for Screen Pop. The challenge I have run into is with the
functionality of the Dial command and the Link, Unlink, Ring and Ringing
events.

In order to properly perform screen pop, ideally the event Ringing on
the target (or all targets) extension rings. The challenge is that there
is no linkage between the new calls ringing the target extensions and
the original inbound call that has the call data associated. Not until
the target extension answers and the LINK event is fired can those two
calls be associated.

I have reviewed the code for both pbx.c and app_dial.c and can find no
way to modify the code to accomplish it. Ideally, I would like a new
event "PRELINK" which, when the Dial command is fired is set to the
manager with the same format as a LINK event:

Line: 0: Event: Link
Line: 1: Channel1: SIP/147.135.0.129-0816e408
Line: 2: Channel2: SIP/4403-2871
Line: 3: Uniqueid1: 1097608761.39
Line: 4: Uniqueid2: 1097608761.40
Line: 9:

The PRELINK should be fired once for each target of the Dial Command
allowing "pop" for all of those clients.

Thoughts?

Brian Roy
b.t.roy at brianandkelly.ws