[Asterisk-Dev] Announcement: pbx_config_mgr for Asterisk 1.x released.

David Wilson dw at botanicus.net
Sun Oct 10 20:13:02 MST 2004

http://botanicus.net/dw/pbx_config_mgr.php

Hi there,

At the above URL you can find a loadable module that permits dialplan
configuration via the manager API. This paves the way for external /
live reconfiguration of Asterisk through another application.

Still missing is configuration merging (like pbx_config does during a
RELOAD), and a lot of testing is needed, but a preliminary attempt at
starting Asterisk without pbx_config.so loaded, and using this module to
populate the dialplan, succeeded.

My first project for putting this module to use is implementing a clean
new syntax for extensions.conf in Python for my py-asterisk package (see
above URL).

When this works and is tested, I will be writing some objects that
associate a Python dialplan representation with one or more manager
instances, allowing updates of multiple PBXes with the same dialplan
simultaneously.

There are a million uses for this thing module, but most importantly, it
is one more step away from the messy dialplan as we know it, and one
step toward a structured approach to your configuration.

Regards,

David.

PS: I will not be pushing for inclusion of this module in standard
Asterisk at present, for a number of reasons. In particular, my coding
style varies greatly from Mark's, and a lot would need changed before we
go there.