[Asterisk-Dev] Measuring MOS Scores

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Oct 4 16:41:24 MST 2004

Hi James,

MOS = Mean Opinion Score

Do machines have opinions? :-)

MOS is a costly, and definitely not an automatable, process. It requires
an extensive formalised test of the system with a large number of
humans. If you have seen packages which say they automate MOS testing,
they are lying. Sometimes they just seem to use the term MOS for
something other than a real MOS.

I believe the R-factor, and other similar factors, are a problem for
free software. Although P.853 defines a testing method, I understand
there are patents on the methods used, as the wiki page mentions.

Regards,
Steve