[Asterisk-Dev] Zaptel on SPARC

dking at pimpsoft.com dking at pimpsoft.com
Mon Oct 4 10:42:34 MST 2004

That would confirm my earlier posts on the lists perfectly!

My current biggest problem is I am stuck using debian-sparc and the
gcc for debian is always broken; For some stupid moronic reason they
compile it for the 'linux-sparc' host instead of the 'sparc64-linux'
they should, breaking its ability to compile 64bit binaries or even
compile a kernel unless I want to use egcs64 and do everything the
hard way. To make it worse they don't even provide for if someone
wants that optional functionality and debian breaks if you try to
install a newer gcc by hand.. Lucky for me I knew I was reloading
soon.

A good example of a good sparc64 friendly ./configure line for gcc
would be something like:

./configure --host=sparc64-linux -v --enable-languages=c,c++ --
prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-shared --with-system-
zlib --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --enable-__cxa_atexit --
enable-clocale=gnu --with-cpu=ultrasparc

There is no technical or logistical reason to have ANYTHING running
on a sparc ultra cpu compiled to anything else then at least version
8 if not version 9 of the instruction set. I have no [expletive] clue
why the [expletive] these idiots don't at least provide compatible
packages if they are going to break a install by making the default
version 7 or even 6 when the instruction set is so broken compared
the instruction set a Sparc Ultra CPU can handle.

Either way its nice to know \the problem is the idiots making the gcc
and 'as' packages and not asterisk. I hope the debian team finds this
and [expletive] there pants. Heck I may lead them to it for there
stupidity and the trouble it caused.

So why are the kernel modules for zaptel not already in the kernel
source tree? It seems to me that they would be best if placed there.

And remember that many kernels support both 32 and 64 bit modules.
It's just a matter of adding the support at compile time.