[Asterisk-Dev] SS7 for *

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Oct 4 06:38:39 MST 2004

Linus Surguy wrote:

>>> Certainly in the UK, you cannot connect to British Telecom with SS#7
>>> unless you are operating an approved switch, i.e. an approved
>>> software build & hardware build - and we've been through this process.
>>>
>>> Mind you, as * today is concerned then it is not important anyway,
>>> as BT only allow BT-IUP or UK-ISUP SS#7 and not ETSI-ISUP.
>>

>> Why does that make it unimportant. SS7 in the UK has only minor
>> differences, which could be allowed for. Of course, that means a
>> special UK approval, and EU approval won't work for the UK.
>

> UK-ISUP has more than minor differences from the ETSI brand of ISUP
> (it is effectively a BT version). ETSI-ISUP in use in the UK (both
> version 1 & 2) are identical and the EU approval version would be fine
> for the UK.

Its a long time since I worked on UK SS7, but it didn't seem like such a
big difference.

> Don't other operators in the UK use the standard SS7 protocol? I
> thought it was just BT that would not fall into line. I haven't worked
> there for 12 years.
>
> Most will happily support ETSI-ISUP, and for interconnection purposes,
> the earlier V1 tends to get used more (in our experience), although
> some of the larger carriers seem to be suggesting that they might drop
> it, so they only have to support UK-ISUP & BT-IUP

Why would they want to give up the standard stuff if favour of using the
olde worlde BT, pre SS7 standards stuff? Sounds odd. I would have
thought competitors would try to be less like BT. When I worked in the
UK Mercury certainly tried to be as unlike BT as possible. We had to
develop various special things for Mercury, for little more reason than
to be unlike what we built for BT.

Regards,
Steve