[Asterisk-Dev] SS7 for *

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Mon Oct 4 05:16:18 MST 2004

Steve Underwood wrote:

> It hasn't been announced. It is still in testing. It is, however,
> functional. It is providing non-fee paying service somewhere in Europe,
> while its stability and reliability are being evaluated. What happens
> next is under discussion. Many places demand it be approved. Approval
> would cost upwards of $100,000 and the approval may not be portable to
> the various markets wanting this thing.

Not only that, but in the USA (at least), approval will cover a
_specific_ version of the code, and will very likely not allow the code
to be distributed in source form at all (because the end user could then
modify it and be running a "non-approved" version).

Subsequent version updates will have to be re-approved, although if they
are relatively minor that is much simpler process than the initial approval.

This is presuming, of course, that your SS7 connectivity provider
demands that you run an approved SS7 stack :-) I can't imagine any
legitimate telco doing otherwise...