[Asterisk-Dev] asterisk application license

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Sat Oct 2 06:43:06 MST 2004

Peter Svensson wrote:

> The original question was in part regarding applications built on Asterisk
> through the AGI and similar interfaces. My gut feeling is that those would
> not be considered a derived work any more than a shell script is a derived
> work of the shell.  Given the language if the GPL this seems to be the
> expressed intent of the license.

I would completely agree here. The important word in the GPL for this
situation is "link": in this context, AGI and similar interfaces are not
"linked" into Asterisk, they do not run in the same process as Asterisk,
so it should be pretty safe to say that any Asterisk add-on using the
AGI or manager interfaces is not subject to the GPL restrictions.

> The safest thing to do would be to get in touch with Digium and other
> copyright holders or holders of sublicencing rights and ask them for a
> clarification on their intents.

Absolutely :-) There is very little case law about any of this, so a lot
of it is speculation.