[Asterisk-Dev] IPv6 and *

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 12:22:45 MST 2004

> It's kinda like the metric system. Indeed, most consumer devices, and
> just about every OS available, support the IPv6 scheme, but just like
> every ruler used by kids in America has both the Imperial and Metric
> units on it, until there is a real reason to use it, no one will. And
> since it really is not a "one or the other" proposition (just like the
> measurement systems), and since the network fabric already supports
> packet switching between IPv6 and IPv4 address spaces, I doubt you
> will ever see the United States join the IPv6 parade in any real
> capacity.

Wasn't a Mars orbiter ($US125 million space toy) lost because NASA was
using metric units and another company was using imperial and the two
teams effectively couldn't agree on how to send instructions to the probe?

Incidently, the problem was only found after the orbiter had made it all
the way to Mars and was about to commence orbiting.

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/