[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Hardware Platform - Intel x86 versus Intel RISC Xscale (ARM)

Miroslav Nachev miro at space-comm.com
Fri Nov 26 00:46:00 MST 2004

Hello Scott,

SL> Does that include FP hardware?  I don't believe that any of the
SL> PDA Xscales do, I assume that at least some codecs need FP for
SL> compression; without floating point hardware, it's going to be
SL> really slow.

   1st in Xscale is integrated Micro Signal Architecture (MSA), the
new design incorporates DSP and microcontroller functions - Intel and
Analog Devices joint development design a digital signal processor
(DSP) core architecture.
   All speech, audio and video codecs like G.729, G.723, G.726, G.728,
GSM, MP3, MPEG-4, etc. are optimized for Xscale architecture using
integrated DSP functionality.

   2nd we are not care about host CPU Speech coding because we are in
process of development of USB/PCI Device named Multimedia Transcoder
(MMT) which will handle simultaneously from 16 up to 256 Codecs. This
codec will be available Apr-May 2005. The price will be between $400
and $1000. Using this MMT you can use 50 MHz CPU for Asterisk.

--
Best regards,
 Miroslav                            mailto:miro at space-comm.com